• Is enamored with their child from the moment they are born.
• Sacrifices anything and everything to keep his family safe and secure.
• Makes time for his children and makes memories with them early and often.
• Makes up for the unfortunate moments when he cannot be there in person for his family and realizes when and if he needs to make changes in his life to be a greater presence in theirs.
• Is a father to his children YEARS before he'll be a friend to them. He loves them unconditionally and, through that love, guides them to be good, generous and caring people. That might mean disciplining them from time to time, making them do chores or stay home for family night or saying the always unpopular "NO", but it'll be worth it in the long run and there will probably a few good stories from it twenty years down the road while reminiscing at family gatherings.
• Supports and encourages his children in whatever they choose to do even if it's something he doesn't understand or have any interest in.
• Expects nothing less than 100% effort from them even in failure.
• Lets his children know that failure is okay and is a part of life. He teaches them that they can either let failure define them or live through it, learn from it and succeed another day. He instills in them that failure is a temporary setback toward being successful at life.
• Lets his children know that even if he doesn't agree with them, he's never too proud to at least listen to what they are saying and acknowledge their feelings.
• Never stops learning from and about his children.
• Never intentionally degrades his children or hurts them.
• Is man enough to say he's sorry and admits when he is wrong.
• Never knowingly puts his children in the middle of a negative situation.
• Always shows his children that he loves them through his actions and makes sure he says "I love you" once in a while...even though that might be hard for him to do.
• Lets his children experience as much as they can in life and be brave enough to let their children live because that's the gift he gave them. LIFE.
Happy Father's Day to every father and father figure I know.