I have a list of resolutions for 2013:
1. Make more lists and leave myself helpful reminders.
• I don't hate very many things. Only snakes, heights, birds and Regis Philbin. I mean, come on! Regis is so annoying on TV, yet he has more hours on television than anyone in history. That just doesn't make a lick of sense to me. I don't hate him as person, just as an annoying person he portrays on my TV. He's been gone for a few years now and he still bugs the hell out of me...Anyways...
I've recently become aware that I hate lists. Maybe it's because they're so long and never ending, maybe it's because I'm a stubborn jackass who refuses to believe I can't store everything in my brain and get it done without reminders. Maybe it's because I'm embarrassed to admit that my mind doesn't work quite like everyone else's thanks to cerebral palsy.
Whatever the case, I'm going to be like Santa up in this muthafluffer and make a list every day that I can check twice...or probably more than that.
2. Stop multitasking so much.
• I play on the internet while I watch TV and I spend too much time looking at my phone when I'm out with friends. I really don't like the fact that I can't just watch a show anymore—that my brain needs to be doing something else too. The more I think about it, the more it annoys me. What did I do before the internet? God forbid I actually had an attention span that was longer than a toddler or that I didn't need my phone attached to my hand 24 hours a day. It stops today.
3. Spend a set time blogging, puppeteering, podcasting, creating presentations and and being on social media.
• I'm going to allot myself time to do each thing during the week because I love to be creative and I love connecting with the CF Community. However, that creative time will have a definitive start and end point. It has to or I'll lose myself in all this CF stuff. Being engulfed in one thing and neglectful of other equally important things isn't healthy.
4. Gossip less and encourage others more while still being respectfully honest.
• I ain't perfect. People, places and things piss me off, but I know can deal with my feelings better than I do sometimes. I just gotta be like Thumper from Disney's "Bambi":
Negativity is an evil time and energy sucker. It's time I worry more about what I'm doing rather than complaining about what other people are doing.
5. and 6. Take better care of myself so I can give more of my time to others AND lessen my guilt over things I cannot control.
7. Read 12 books this year.
• More words from a page, less late night YouTubes.
8. Write more funny stories on my blog.
• Too many sad stories this year in Joshland. Time to bring back the silly.
9. Be more active.
This is a pattern I seem to fall into every year. The snow hits and I worry more about preventing a cold than I do about replacing my daily exercise routine of walking the dogs and pushing my physical limits in daily chores or activities. I'd also like to give running another shot, but with a less intense training regimen than the last time.
10. Take the time to be happy every day, even in the worst of times.
• No matter what happens in my life, there is always something to smile about every single day. It doesn't have to be for very long, but I need to be open to accepting those gifts when they come. That's why it's called "being present".
I'm sure I'll add more, but for now that's my list. Hey! I just made a list for the day! Who's productive and smells like cheap body wash? I do! I do! Self high-five!