It's officially the first anniversary of when I started writing my blog...time to tell you why I started....
When I am gone MANY years from now someone might ask you "What was it that lit a fire under Josh's ass and made him start writing a self-righteous and pretentious blog/book/memoir thingy?" By reading this post you are required to roll your eyes, smile and say "He did one of those silly forwards on Facebook called 25 Random Things About Me."
Sorry to disappoint, but that's the true story of my blog beginnings...well, except for the self-righteous, pretentious part. Anyone who knows me realizes that my blog isn't intended to be that way. I live my life by only a few credos, one of which is: "The moment you think you know everything is the moment you don't know anything at all." I know very little about the world. I only kinda know my little corner of it and, quite frankly, I get lost A LOT.
But I am rambling...back to the "25 Things" list. After I wrote it, I never gave it a second thought. A few days later I logged on to Facebook and there were a bunch of very nice comments including one from my cousin, Molly, who said I should write a book. She lives and breathes sarcasm, so I blew off the comment. The next time I saw her she told me she wasn't kidding. I was floored because she is a very talented writer who tells it like it is and doesn't shell out complements to just anyone. So I went home and discussed the idea of a blog with my wife who encouraged me to give it a try (Doesn't she always do that?). I figured...What the hell? What's the worst that could happen?
Apparently nothing! It's been a very positive thing in my life and it all started with these 25 Things. Yes, I know I'm beating a dead horse by mentioning "the list" in a few posts this year. But many of you have no clue how many times I've attempted to do something positive for myself, only to hit an insurmountable wall. Contrary to popular belief, that is an okay thing. Life throws you those curve balls sometimes. They key for me has always been to give my best effort. If I get knocked down, then I jump back up and try again or move on to something new. Fortunately, my blog is something I am actually good at! It only took 30 years to find it. It's always that last place you look. (Who came up with that saying anyways? OF COURSE it's always the last place you look! DUH!)
This is the first time I have ever shared this list on here! Enjoy...
25 Random Things About Me
1. I enjoy doing things for others more than I do for myself.
2. I have too many things I don’t need.
3. I believe that most people are inherently good whether they act that way or not.
4. I'm afraid of getting sick, which stops me from doing things and, in turn, prevents me from experiencing more of what life has to offer. Unfortunately, when I try to overcome that fear I end up getting sick. I'm trying to be brave and open to new things, but it's been hard!
5. I believe in being honest even if it is hard. Some people don’t care for that approach, but people deserve to know my honest opinion if they ask for it.
6. I talk too much and should listen more. I'm working on it.
7. I tell people I love them all the time because you just never know if it is the last time you will see them. I learned that the hard way. It makes some people uncomfortable, but it's just how I am.
8. I've accomplished all of my major goals I set for myself. I need to set new ones, but I'm struggling to find them right now.
9. I like little things in life a lot more than major events or milestones.
10. My wife loves me and I am sooooo lucky to have her! She is special even though she'll deny it up and down.
11. I'm smarter than people give me credit for. Maybe not "book-smart", but I'm very intelligent.
12. I love karaoke because I get to sing for 3 minutes and not worry about anything else.
13. I designed my tattoo myself.
14. I never feel good anymore, but I'm still happy for each day. I do miss feeling good, though.
15. If my health wasn't an issue I would have been a fireman or a teacher.
16. I am the easiest person to make laugh.
17. I get nervous every time before I sing. Every time.
18. I hate when people talk down to me. No matter what you do, where you come from, how smart you are, or how much money you make, you are not better than me so kiss my ass! I feel better now.
19. Sometimes I'm very open about my life, but often I'm very private.
20. I wish I was in a 50's and 60's cover band.
21. I've felt "old" since I was very young. I attribute it to way too much stress and just trying to survive back then. I feel like I've been through the wringer. To tell you the truth, I could have it a lot worse.
22. Until I live through something, I don't know how it feels.
23. I believe that time is more valuable than money.
24.Trying and failing is much better than never trying at all and dreams, no matter how big or small, are always worth pursuing if you really want them. I learned that from my friend Chad.
25. I am not perfect and I remind myself of that every day.